Thursday, August 09, 2007

Yet another new job.

OK, here's the story:

Back in October, I was laid off at Exploration Place. The new president was hired in June and he decided that all the middle managers had to go, regardless of their usefulness to the museum. Rather than just doing the brave thing and firing us right then, he decided to make us quit. So he started a campaign of transfers, promotions of others and cutting of responsibilities till all but one of us quit: me. I hung on till the end of October till he got tired of paying me for showing up and trying to do my job, so he canned me. So at least I got unemployment for 6 months...

Seven months later, all I had to show for all my job chasing was plenty of interviews and no offers. On June 1st, I started a "joe" job at the local zoo, 35+ hours per week in the blazing sun. But I needed a real job. Cole and I decided that if I did not have a real job by June 30, I would pack up and move back to Illinois (room with my buddy Karl) and she would stay in Wichita with Miri till I could find work.

On June 28 (a mere 2 days before the deadline) I was offered the job of Librarian of the Lower School here at the Independent School in Wichita. My buddy Allen was so relieved that he nearly cried (nice to have friends like that). I started on August 1st.

It is a major pay cut, but we don't have to move, I have insurance and I'm back in the library business. I'll be keeping my zoo job on full weekends through August, then go Sundays only. Cole may need to find part-time work as well, but we'll see at the end of August.

Whew. To quote C-3PO: "No more adventures!"

No comments: