Monday, October 15, 2007

If it weren't for the honor, I'd decline!

This weekend was the final weekend for boat tours at the zoo. The main animals to see are lemurs, and they were taken in to their winter quarters on Friday. I enjoy piloting the boats, so when I was given the last run on Sunday, I was thrilled. I should have declined...

It was cloudy, but the threatening rain had not shown up all day, so it seemed unlikely to start. I took out five visitors, who were happy for the late afternoon ride, even though there were no animals to see. At the turn-around point (10 minutes out, 10 minutes back to the dock) the heavens opened up and rain came down in sheets. Visibility was lousy as I gunned the engine to get back. The passengers were wet but laughing, so I figured all was well. But, as we were about minutes from the dock, the engine stalled and would not restart. As the rain came down even harder, I discovered the primary gas tank was empty. I told the folks to cross their fingers as I checked the auxiliary tank. A little bit of liquid sloshed in it and, praying it wasn't just water, I switched over and fired up the engine. We made it to within sight of the dock when the engine stalled again and we coasted into the berth, my game passengers singing the "Gilligan's Island" theme.

As we were secured to the dock, it stopped raining. I offered refunds, but nobody took and went away laughing. I asked the team leader about the gas. Apparently, those in charge decided not to buy any more for the boats since it was the last weekend and the main tank "was full this morning." Rather than beat her to death, I just clocked out and went home for some soup.

No comments: