Friday, December 10, 2004

Now I really am Miri's dad

It is a bright, breezy day here in Wichita, and my two best girls are having a snooze. I can't say that I blame them; it was a rough few days.

Miriam Joscelyn Bell was born at 5:42pm CST on Wednesday, December 8. She weighed 8 pounds, six ounces and was 20 inches long. She has lots of black hair and grey eyes. She came after nearly 12 hours of induced labor and much hollering and carrying on. I felt pretty useless through the whole thing, but at least I was there. Afterward, Cole (her mama) was exhausted, in pain, very hungry and more beautiful to me than ever. Later on, after I returned home from letting the dog out (poor Frippen!), I expected to find her out cold. Instead she was wide awake, smiling, hair back in place and ejoying hospital french fries. God, I love that woman...

Miri was very well formed for a newborn and the nurse cleaning her commented to me that her feet were very large. "Better go by a basketball, daddy," she said. I'm thinking fencing gear: tall people have a better reach!

We spent one day at the hospital (swanky corner suite) and got home last night about 9PM. Frippen wants to be a good big brother dog, but his terrier personality is overwhelming and annoying. He'll adapt, though; he's a good dog. Cole is breast feeding, but apparently it doesn't move quickly enough for Miri. She was up most of the night yelling for food. Finally, a little formula this morning satisfied her and Cole was able to get a nap. We don't have a bottle, though. I need to pick one up when I go grocery shopping today.

It was a great experience for all and we are looking forward to watching her grow. Check back here: I tend to brag.

Chuck, now Dad-man

No comments: